CIVIL WAR HISTORY, FORT DAVIDSON AND THE BATTLE OF PILOT KNOB
towns of Pilot Knob, Ironton and Arcadia are rich in Civil War lore.
Because of its strategic importance as the southern terminus of
the St. Louis & Iron Mountain Railroad, Union soldiers occupied
Pilot Knob and the Arcadia Valley throughout the war. Fort Davidson,
the target of the Battle of Pilot Knob in 1864, is a hexagonal earthwork
constructed by the Union Army and stands 300 yards from the base
of Pilot Knob Mountain. The assault on Fort Davidson by Confederate
troops left 1,500 soldiers dead or wounded. The fort and site are
listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Davidson State Historic Site serves as a memorial to those who gave
their lives on the battlefield, and the Visitor's Center provides
detailed information about the battle through the use of artifacts,
a diorama, and film. Additionally, a self-guided driving tour around
the Arcadia Valley directs visitors to some of the most significant
points on the battlefields. Each stop is marked by a red granite
monument. Maps for this tour are available at Fort Davidson State
third year a full-scale re-enactment of the Battle of
Pilot Knob is staged, attracting tens of thousands of spectators to
the Valley. Be sure to make your plans now to attend the next
Missouri battle reenactments
being held. Two re-enactments
are scheduled during the Civil War Sesquicentennial celebrations;
they are: September 25-26, 2010 and September 27-28, 2014.
Iron County Courthouse, built in 1861, still bears the mark
of a cannon ball fired on its roof during the battle. Both the
courthouse and a gazebo on the lawn are listed in the National
Register of Historic Places. In 1861 Ulysses S. Grant received
his commission as a Brigadier General at Ironton and a monument
at the nearby Catholic church marks that location." (excerpt
from the Arcadia Valley Missouri Tourism Website).
Learn about the next Reenactments and weekend activities by clicking
the banner below.
URSULINE ACADEMY - ARCADIA COLLEGE
(Registered 1848) Formerly the Academy of Ursuline Sisters for Girls
Nostalgic Place is the oldest structure on this historic campus.
Visit the rest of the campus next door to our Bed & Breakfast.
The Academy is a magnificent study of architecture set on
17 acres of majestic evergreens & towering oaks. The
famous spring still gushes crystal clear water. The St. Joseph
Chapel has some of the most amazing stained glass windows in the
world. Beautiful inside and out, it is now used for weddings, as
well as religious services. 300 S College St., Arcadia
LUTHERAN CHURCH in
Pilot Knob was used as a hospital and Union headquarters during
the Civil War--- the Battle of Pilot Knob. Built in 1861, it
still contains the original furniture and pipe organ. Immanuel
Lutheran was also home to the first "subscription school" in
the Valley. The school room remains today as it appeared
in the 1800s. Pine and Ziegler Street.
ST. PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (1870) is
an exceptionally fine example of wooden, Gothic architecture; it
contains the original lead-stained glass windows. 106 N. Knob St.